KC's Best Interior Design Shops
The Kansas City boutique scene is going strong right now and it’s entirely possible to furnish your home with all local (and lovely!) purchases. Stephanie Agne, the owner of Golden & Pine, walks us through some of her favorites.
1. Start off at Urban Mining, the original First Fridays weekend vintage market, in Midtown. It’s only two floors, but it’s packed full of curated treasures that make buying antiques painless and easy. The top floor is full of midcentury modern furniture and global accessories. It is a great place to find one-of-a-kind, larger pieces – think lamps, furniture, and art – for the home.
2. If you’re looking for something a little more industrial, head to North Kansas City to the newly opened Tyler Kingston Woodshop. The husband and wife team custom make tables, desks, benches and more and all have that cool, modern, industrial feel that mixes so well with any style. A good stock of beautiful vintage rugs and textiles are also readily available.
3. At Golden & Pine in East Brookside, you’ll find new and handcrafted furniture sourced both locally and from around the world. The aesthetic is modern and nature-inspired and a great place to start thinking about accessories, as handmade bedding, pillows (LOTS of pillows), throws, towels and table linens abound. Artisan ceramics include dinnerware and garden pots for both inside and out, and all the plants are available for purchase as well.
4. Looking to add a little upscale glamour into the mix? Head down to the Country Club Plaza to Coveted Home. We love that this is one of the few local shops that makes its home on the Plaza! They offer a curated mix of home and boutique offerings, like jewelry and giftables, and are the perfect place to find elegant, upscale touches for the home.
5. Another great place for finishing touches is George in the Crestwood Shops at Brookside. Their elegant table offerings, modern art and a slew of coffee table books are just what is needed to complete a room. They also have a nice selection of, in clothing, jewelry, and stylish goods for your pet.