A Beer Tour with KC's Little Fixations
Since starting at Boulevard Brewing Co. in 2013, I’ve had a blast watching our KC beer community grow into what it is today. There is no shortage of great spots around town to try delicious brews, and I’m so excited to have the opportunity to share a few of my favorites with all of you!
1) Stockyards Brewing Co. – Located in the Live Stock Exchange building where the Golden Ox used to reside, this brewery’s charm is dedicated to keeping the history & nostalgia of the old steakhouse alive. I remember the first time I ever went to Stockyards thinking, ‘This space is by far one of the coolest atmospheres I’ve ever been in to drink a beer’. A few of my favorites were Black IPA, Saison, and Cerveza Royal.
2) Brewery Emperial – The main goal of this cool, inviting space is to inspire all walks of life to come hang out, and enjoy good beer & food. I can personally attest that all of those things are easily done here! A favorite spot after work, Brewery Emperial has become a personal go-to for a few reasons. Some of my favorite brews include Biscuit, (the other) IPA, and Nitro Stout. (A rule that you MUST abide by when you go: get an order a French fries… I promise, you will thank me later!)
3) Torn Label – A brewery started by a group of dreamers with one common goal: to deliver delicious beer to the Midwest by experimenting big & challenging themselves along the way. I’m a nerd when it comes to beer packaging, and Torn Label has some of my favorite artwork in KC. The bartenders are always incredibly friendly & helpful, and I’ve never had a beer I didn’t like! Some of my favorites from here have been Alpha Pale, Monk & Honey, and Oscar.
4) BKS Artisan Ales – This quaint/small batch focused spot in Brookside is only open on Saturdays, and is well worth the wait you might have to get in! Started by a husband & wife team (who opened this spot while still maintaining their full time jobs…talk about dedication!), BKS Artisan Ales wants to deliver the most flavorful and delicious beers they possibly can to all of us here in KC. I was able to try one of their Vacation Island sour ales & Antithesis IPA’s last time I was in, and I’m already dreaming of patio weather with both of these brews in hand.
5) Double Shift Brewing Co. – Surrounded by a colorful community in the Crossroads, this brewery is known for creating approachable beers for all. (I personally am a big fan of the names they choose for their brews; like ‘Literally Can’t Even’, and ‘Torch Bearer IPA’). With the combination of their witty humor, weekly events of Geeks Who Drink Trivia & Vinyl Thursdays, plus the most beautiful naturally lit space, this is the perfect spot to head with a group of friends.
6) Casual Animal Brewing — Right up the street from Double Shift Brewing is a new small batch brewery that believes in keeping a local approach over all else. Casual Animal was named after the standards of the folks that work there; casual representing their easy going nature, and animal showcasing their wild need to explore the world. Both reflect the way they want to brew their beer, and create classics as well as different flavors to meet the needs of all who walk in their door. The first night in, I tasted a little of each brew they offered and was blown away by how tasty each offering was. I highly recommend checking this newer space out & showing them some much deserved love!
7) Boulevard Brewing Co. – Last but not least, my second home! I have a lot of pride working for this company– Unfiltered Wheat was the first beer I ever had– and the folks here feel like family. I work in the newer Tours & Rec. building, and it’s been so fun seeing this turn into a spot where locals want to come & hang out with their friends. My current favorite picks on draft at the Tours & Rec. Center are our Test El Dorado IPA, Jam Band, and Barrel Aged Spiced Messenger Mocha Stout. (Also, we just started selling biscuits & gravy on Bingo Sundays, and they are definitely worth the hype!)
Here’s to an endless supply of different, delicious brews in our city! I hope you all have a blast exploring these breweries throughout KC, and whether you’re a beer nerd or just an enthusiast, you’re able to enjoy learning about these different spots and their beers. Cheers!